2.26.2012

Peanut Butta Jelly Time.

Ok, so these cookies are pretty much all peanut butter and no jelly but I couldn't resist.  The real zinger though...get ready people..is that these cookies are VEGAN. yup.  We're talking no butter, no eggs, no cane sugar.  Don't panic, I know I did at first, because these rich little peanut butter morsels are insanely good. Taste-like-the-middle-of-a-Reese's good.  All I'm sayin is that these cookies have made a vegan-believer out of me.  At least when it comes to peanut butter cookies.  And my new favorite chocolate cake recipe.  And my other new favorite carrot-ginger soup recipe.  Don't get me wrong, I love a good stick of butter as much as the next gal, but I am quickly learning that there are times when it is just more appropriate/better/delicious/moist/healthful to go the vegan route!  Give these cookies a try and I promise I will sound less like a peanut butter-vegan looney, or at least we will all be sippin' the same kool-aid.


Whole-Wheat Peanut Butter Cookies
adapted slightly from this recipe

1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp fine grain sea salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup natural peanut butter (chunky or smooth, whatever floats your boat!)
1 cup maple syrup (I prefer grade B but again, whatever you like)
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a medium bowl combine flours, salt, and baking soda.

In a large bowl combine peanut butter, maple syrup, olive oil, and vanilla extract.  Stir until combined.

Mix the dry ingredients into the wet, being careful not to over mix.

Drop dough by tablespoons on parchment lined baking sheets. Use the back of a fork to gently press the balls of dough down a bit.  Sprinkle dough with sugar before baking.

Bake for 10 min, and be careful not to over bake or they will be dry!!  Let cool for 5 min.

Chow down!

No comments:

Post a Comment